Turf and Thyme photo breakdown

Finally, some time to outline my final plan of attack! This should help clarify things even further in my mind, but first I’ll start with a recap of my cryptic last photo post…

On what was blissfully the only good weathered day of last week, I bit the bullet and spent approximately £100 on supplies to plant up an experimental and (hopefully!) useful prop to my final display. Sure, its an expensive kind of experiment, but after planning and fretting about what it might or might not look like/weigh/cost/smell like, I was only going to know by doing.
Using 24 one litre pots, I made a small mound of beautifully scented creeping thyme. A plastic basin was filled with concentric circles of plants, to effectively fill up the space into a neat little half-sphere. Using 4 different varieties of thyme (not completely by choice, seeing as there wasn’t much of any one type) has made a fantastic variegated effect to the object as a whole, which adds a little more depth and detail to what might have been, quite plain. Plus, with a little time the smallest gaps in the piece should fill themselves in. The last photo is for size reference, which as you can see, illustrates just how many plants I needed! Approximately 60cm in diameter, I haven’t yet plucked up the courage to weigh it. Fortunately I am still able to lift it myself! After a good watering, if occurred to me to increase the amount of drainage in the bottom, but they seem to be doing so well so far. When the surface is dry, I keep wrapping my arms around it and giving tentative hugs, taking big thyme scented lungfuls as I do.

 

In addition to the thyme, I also planted up a smaller dish of sedum and sempervivum varieties. While less dramatic in its construction, has a completely different kind of tactile persuasion about it. Their rubbery surfaces and irregular appearance make them quite tempting to touch too!

And finally, with the not so helpful assistance of the cat, I made a bumpy strip of turf to see what it looked like and to see whether (most importantly) it would take being sat on. It made sense to make an simple, ergonomic seating shape for my metre long test piece.

For the next couple of months, it looks likely that I’ll be keeping my hermit-like nails in the name of design. By using the underlaying soil so shape the piece, it was a simple matter of laying over the sheet of grass and trimming it to fit perfectly. I’ll say something, my cheap, go-to, snap-off blades stanley knife did an awesome job with the fitting, especially when wedges had to be cut out and shaped at the corners! This too, is surviving so far, which I find impressive considering the reputation turf has for failing to settle in to a new home.

Hopefully all of these pieces and more will take pride of place in one or the other of my 2 display dates.They really are crucial in conveying the message of sensory re-discovery that I would be injecting into the city streets. As demonstrative pieces that people can actually touch, smell and see in forms, it will go much further to enhancing my drawn proposals and simulations. Those are another matter entirely.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s