Final Minor Wrap-Up

Its been a longer road than anticipated, but we got there. In fact, you look a little weedy from this angle. What took you so long?!

Continue reading


Minor Project – Completed prints

Simple, yes. Shiny, certainly. Expensive, a little. Well executed, I’ll let you be the judge.

Continue reading

Paper Jamming

Paper paper everywhere, without a papercut *touchwood*

I’ve mostly been nit-picking my designs and printing out to scale today. When I say it like that it makes me feel richer. I’ve spent about £10 in the last couple of hours, but seem to have discovered that sugar paper has the utilitarian, budget, hand produced feel that matches the ideology of the event. (Which is slightly inaccurate, in that BND is not about how luxurious any number of things can be, but the excessive consumption of them)  As I understand it…

I’ve printed out colour duplicates on both types of paper that are capable of being run through the laser printers. Barring the one on the GD corridor that insists on smearing blue up the page, the effect on the natural coloured sugar paper is as fault and blotch-resistant as I hoped it would be. I don’t think I’m even going to try printing on an inkjet, as I know for sure that the graphics will be much fuzzier. It is also only 5p per A2 sheet, which makes it a brilliant option for mass amounts. The fibres and imperfections in the paper seem to emphasise the ‘grass-roots’, recycling, low-tech approach to the campaign that I have taken, by making a hands-on piece of promotional ware.

Given the increased weight and thickness of the sugar paper, I’m also confident that it will tolerate being rolled up and secured with an elastic band, without sharply creasing and cracking the material. Folding the leaflets into shape was satisfactory, the fold requiring very little force to come out sharp.

I also managed to have a quick word with the printing department this morning re. printing on latex balloons, and it seems that the only way forward is to dive into experimentation. The only obvious obstacle is the calculating of the shrinkage rate of my logo, so when the balloon is inflated it will stretch to the right size. I do have 2 more weeks to finish this project, but I think I will have to weight it against my other 2 units. I’d like to go the extra 1/2 mile, but taking into account their simplicity they are still only desirable.

I’ll probably have a gallery set up on the Base Room walls by the time I have a tutorial, but at least I’ll have something to look at while I wait.

Tutorial and To-Do List – 31/1/12

Todays tutorial was amongst a little organisational chaos, but I think I reached a good outcome nevertheless. 3 points, lots of reminiscence, GO >>>

1. Scrap the idea that doesn’t fit.

The first of the 4 designs      that I (guess which!? > ) started working on for my printed freebies has never quitetaken on the theme or appearance of the others. It has more momentum, a little pound sign joke/reference in the balloon strings and is much more crowded. Continue reading

Stacking Up

I sense a theme appearing…

All the pieces (save the latex balloons, flat or otherwise) are now all here.

Now just to finalise the leaflet/poster artwork and get a wedge of each printed. A small, sample sized wedge that won’t cost me the earth in colour printing. Probably 2 of each poster design also, seeing as they would be A3 colour. Of course I could just print on printer paper and say that they would be cheaply made, but that would be ignoring the fact that people may want nice copies to begin with. So it might be worth looking through the paper samples again if I think anymore about it. I’m not sure what benefit it would be, but I’ll consider it because it can be considered, and might have a noticeable impact on the overall impression of the work.

Oh, and since I’d like the posters to be rolled up, I have great incentive to go out for another run and pick up some free red-colour-co-ordinating rubber bands courtesy of Royal Mail. Kerching!

BND booklette

As part of my street campaign kit, I thought I would include a leaflet of welcome and advice. From a single sheet of suggestions for advice, it seems to have grown into a 4 side booklet! Not quite big enough to be called a proper booklet I imagine, a small booklet. A booklette I suppose.

 I’m still not sure whether to finalise it in A4 or A5, but the larger the copy the stranger it looks being so thin.

Minor Project Progress Update & Museums in London

So many updates so little time.

Today aside, I have mainly been working on finishing my minor project before diving in deep once again with my D&AD brief. I am now at a stage with it where I am confident that my remaining tasks now lay with construction/compilation and printing.

As per my Epic To-Do List:

Carrying boxes have all been printed. I printed multiples while I had the opportunity, so collectively, there should be one with less faults to submit over the others. Unfortunately, in spite of paying for the more expensive boxes, they too had preprinted material on their sides too. False advertising! No matter, I was able to deconstruct the boxes and turn them inside-out. The side seams will be on the outside, but when they are properly glued they will still look presentable if not ideal.

I have also added my own laid out to the design of the kit boxes. Where my original boxes had a pre-existing section for detailing To/From/Contents, I have printed my own ‘checklist’ that can be use by the organisers to inform the recipients of the contents of their kits. 8 large bags, 12 small bags etc. To continue this communication with the recipients, I also intend to design a small leaflet to rest of top of the kit when it is fully compiled and sent out, stating what it is and some suggestions for BND events/stunts. Plus mentioning the fact they are all handprinted. It may smooth over some of their ‘handmade’ inconsistencies! Thats if I have time…!

Continue reading